The Nottingham trolleybus system opened on 10 April 1927, gradually replacing the city's tramway network. By UK standards system was medium-sized, with a total of 8 routes and a maximum fleet of 157 trolleybuses. It closed on 30 June 1966.
Six former Nottingham trolleybuses are preserved: four at the Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft and the others in a private collection.
The chassis is all that remains of Nottingham 46 which was delivered in 1931. The chassis was manufactured by Ransomes, Simms & Jefferies of Ipswich and was bodied at Loughborough by Brush.
In 1939 the Nottingham trolleybus fleet was re-numbered by adding 300 to the existing fleet numbers so that 46 became 346.
It was replaced by a new trolleybus in 1950 and was sold on to be used as a stores unit in Faldingworth, Lincolnshire. Whilst there the front axle was removed, reputedly to assist with the restoration of a steam lorry. By 1999 its body had collapsed and in October of that year it was sold at auction to the Museum for £24
No. 46's chassis is on display in the open air at the Museum but awaits restoration.