London RM529 - Click for a larger photo

London Transport RM529
(WLT 529)

Chassis: A.E.C Routemaster R2RH
Chassis No:  
Engine: AEC AV590, 9.6 litre
Bodywork: Park Royal H36/28R
Body No:  
Length: 27ft
Width: 8ft
Unladen Weight:  
Entered Service: 1960
Withdrawn:  
Owner: Private
EU Cookie Law Script 1

This site uses cookies for internal use only and are not used for any other reason nor are they shared anywhere. This message will no longer display after you have clicked 'Accept'.


Accept         More Information

Brief History

Possibly the most famous bus of all time, the Routemaster was designed by London Transport engineers in conjunction with AEC and Park Royal. It had many advanced features for its day including lightweight integral construction without a separate chassis, independent rear suspension, power-hydraulic braking, power steering and an automatic gearbox. LT bought 2,760 Routemasters; 65 forward entrance examples were supplied to British European Airways for the service to Heathrow Airport and 50 to Northern General.

When the project was initiated the vehicle was designed to be either a diesel-powered motorbus or a trolleybus. The decision early in the process to abandon the London trolleybus system meant only the diesel version was developed further, the intention being that the Routemaster would be the primary trolleybus replacement vehicle. However, although the prototype entered service in 1956, volume production was delayed and the massive service cuts following the disastrous London Bus Strike of 1958 rendered large numbers of RT types surplus to requirements, so these were used in the early stages of the Buses For Trolleybuses programme until Routemaster production got into stride.

Whilst most Routemasters had AEC engines some had the Leyland 0.600 unit of 9.8 litre capacity, but all other running units were of AEC manufacture. Bodywork on all but one RM was by Park Royal Vehicles. RM 529 has the AEC AV590 engine and was delivered from the builders in October 1960 but stored until entering service from the Hanwell depot on 9 November when that depot's trolleybuses were ousted. It was displaced to Cricklewood garage in 1967 by the longer RML type; there were 5 more inter-garage transfers until it became one of the first Routemasters to be withdrawn from service. Unlike many surviving Routemasters it has therefore never been modernised and remains in original condition.

The vehicle is kept at one of the Museum's off-site storage facilities.

 

Go Back   Back to Motor Buses

Plan your visit...

«   August   »
S M T W T F S
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          

The museum is operated entirely by volunteers and is open on selected days only. Click on the highlighted dates in the calendar or

 View our Open Days Page 

for details of what is scheduled for any one open day. You can also view full details of our facilities and attractions.

The Trolleybus Museum
Belton Road, Sandtoft, Doncaster
North Lincolnshire, DN8 5SX

AMPLE FREE PARKING
for cars and coaches

CMS Produced by Peter ShortCopyright 2015 - 20 - The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft