The Pelham Building
This corrugated iron-clad bungalow was originally located in Pelham Road, Immingham and was one of four such buildings constructed to house managers during the construction of Immingham Docks; this one was once occupied by the works’ baker and has a larger fire place (that once accommodated a range) than its neighbours. The building had been given Grade 2 Listed Building status in later days at Immingham and was donated to us, carefully dismantled, moved to Sandtoft and painstakingly re-constructed by our volunteers during 2004. It is now used to house temporary exhibitions and displays – the current exhibition being “Trolleybuses During the First World War”.
“Trolleybuses During the First World War” Exhibition
The Trolleybus Museum is part of the First World War Centenary Partnership, led by Imperial War Museums. The British Trolleybus Society has pooled resources with us to create a major exhibition, our most ambitious to date, telling the story of early trolleybus development and, in particular, trolleybuses during 1914-1918, when this was a new and novel form of transport, and the impact the Great War had on trolleybus operation and development.
The exhibition features many archive photographs, much well laid out information, mannequins of a trolleybus driver and conductor, dressed in reproduction uniforms of the period, some magnificent scale models of trolleybuses of the period and several reproductions of manufacturers’ catalogues.
The exhibition, which will run until the end of 2018, will be regularly added to as more information and artefacts become available.
The cost of setting up this exhibition has been aided by a grant of Arts Council England money, secured from the Joining Up The Humber Museums Partnership.