Huddersfield 541 is a Sunbeam MS2 but badged as a Karrier;it was built in 1947 with a Park Royal body and was Huddersfield’s very first post-war trolleybus. Although many of its sister vehicles were re-bodied in the 1950s, 541 retained its original body with the unusual three piece front upper deck window arrangement. After withdrawal it was handed over to the NTA and on 22 May 1966 it ran a tour over the Wolverhampton system, this making history by becoming the first preserved trolleybus outside London to operate under its own power and the first under “foreign” wires. It also operated the only tour by a preserved trolleybus in Huddersfield, on the last day of the system in July 1968.
Following a very generous donation from member David Beach in 1994, the restoration of 541 was commenced at Sandtoft. Every panel had to be removed and much rotten woodwork made good.
The fully restored vehicle was launched into service at Sandtoft on 29 August 2010. It also ran at the St Leger Rally on 17th October and the Twilight Running Day on 14th November that year. In 2013 it visited the East Anglia Transport Museum and ran on their wiring circuit, the first time this century that one of the preserved Huddersfield trolleybuses has operated away from Sandtoft.
Huddersfield 541 regularly runs in service at the museum