After viewing an event, click here to return to the full list.
'Gathering Preview (Saturday Trolleyday)
Saturday, July 29 11:00AM
11.00am until 10.00pm (last admission at 8.00pm)
(On Sunday, 30 July, it is Sandtoft Gathering 2017 - our biggest open day of the year - when the Trolleybus Museum will be open between 10.00am and 6.00pm. For those who want to visit on both days, a special weekend ticket is available - see below)
What’s happening today:
We are having a preview of the next day’s Sandtoft Gathering (which is our biggest open day of the year) with a selection of trolleybuses in use for visitors to ride on up until 9.00pm: late operation of trolleybuses presents a rare opportunity to photograph, take video and ride on them in twilight and near-dark conditions.
There is also an evening barbecue and a real ale beer tent, so an opportunity to enjoy the proceedings in a convivial manner.
Special features for Saturday, 29 July ONLY
- A large selection of trolleybuses on display, along with some early arrivals of display vehicles that will be on show on Sandtoft Gathering Day itself (30 July).
- Twilight and nearly-dark trolleybus operation and rides, with the opportunity to take photographs or video as the light goes. Last trolleybus runs at 9.00pm
- Barbecue from 6.00pm until 9.00pm
- Real ale beer tent open 6.00pm until 10.00pm
Visit our Facebook page for the latest information about today and this weekend
Our normal attractions include:
- Selection of trolleybuses in operation to ride on
- In-house 5-rated cafe serving made-to-order meals, delicious home-made cakes and hot and cold drinks
- Vintage motorbus guided tour of surrounding local area (the Isle of Axholme) **
- “The Trolleybus During the First Wold War” exhibition
- Trolleybus displays
- 1950s/ 60s shop window displays
- The period Sunbeam cycle shop exhibition
- 1950s Prefab “home” display
- Audio-visual presentations in the “Regal” lecture theatre
- Children's full-sized trolleybus "Have a Go at Driving” simulator (located in the café)
- Guided tours of vehicles in the main depot building
- Souvenir shop
- Gardens & nature trail
** These motor bus tours operated by the Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft are provided free of charge and admission to the Trolleybus Museum is neither required nor granted by the use of these tours or any other free bus service provided by the Trolleybus Museum and payment for admission to the Trolleybus Museum is not a condition of carriage.
Ample FREE parking (including for coaches)
Admission prices today:
- Our admission prices include a 10% (rounded up) gift aid donation
- For visitors planning to attend on both days of the Sandtoft Gathering Weekend, there are special weekend tickets available
Adult: £8.00 - "Adult" is defined as a person aged 17 to 60 inclusive and who is not eligible to be classified as a "Concession" (see below).
Senior £7.00 - "Senior is defined as a person aged 61 or over and who is not eligible to be classified as a "Concession" (see below)
Concession £6.00 - “Concession” is defined as the following:
- a child aged 5 to 16 inclusive
- a person who is registered as disabled
- a person acting as a carer for a (or a group o) disabled person(s) also visiting the Museum
- a university student (student union ID must be produced)
Family £25.50 - “Family” is defined as a party of 2 adults (they may be either “Adults” or “Seniors”) accompanied by up to 4 “Concessions”
Family Not available
THERE ARE NO ADDITIONAL CHARGES! Our admission prices are all-inclusive, so it include ALL trolleybus and motorbus rides, and will admit visitors to ALL available exhibitions and attractions.
Dogs are welcome but must be kept under control and on a lead. Please note that (apart from guide and other assistance dogs) they are not permitted in certain buildings, including the café and the souvenir shop. For the security and comfort of passengers, it will be at the discretion of the conductor whether a dog may be allowed on a trolleybus or motorbus. We endeavour to provide bowls of water for dogs – please ask a Museum official if these are empty or not obviously available!.
Public transport links
On each Saturday Trolleyday, the Trolleybus Museum operates a free bus link between Epworth and the Trolleybus Museum to link with a scheduled bus service from/ to Doncaster operated by Isle Coaches. The timings of this operation is as follows:
Isle Coaches Service 291 (to Owston Ferry) Trolleybus Museum Free Bus
Doncaster Interchange (Bay C5) depart 11.00am
Epworth Rectory arrive 11.43am depart 11.45am
Trolleybus Museum arrive 12.00 noon
Trolleybus Museum Free Bus Isle Coaches Service 399 (to Doncaster)
Trolleybus Museum depart 4.10pm
Epworth Rectory arrive 4.25pm depart 4.35pm
Doncaster Interchange arrive 5.35pm
Please remember that fares are charged on the scheduled Isle Coaches services
On Sandtoft Gathering Day itself (30 July) we are operating a half-hourly FREE bus service from Doncaster Interchange direct to the Trolleybus Museum and back.
Advertised free bus services are operated by Sandtoft Transport Centre Limited. Payment for admission to the Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft is not a condition of carriage.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft today and/ or over this weekend!Location: The Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft