Facilities and Attractions
The Museum is open on specific open days (Trolleydays) each year between Easter and November with a varied programme of themes and attractions arranged for these open days.
Directions to the Trolleybus Museum can be found here.
The following facilities are normally available on our Trolleydays:
- Ample FREE car parking **
- Reserved spaces near the Museum entrance for disabled parking **
- Ample space to park coaches
- A wheelchair, should changed or emergency circumstances require its use
- Credit and debit card payment facilities (not available in the café)
- Well-equipped disabled toilet facilities (including an adjustable changing table for persons with special needs)
- Parent & baby room
- 5-rated café
- Museum shop
- Level and wheelchair access to most areas (but limited wheelchair access to view vehicles in the main depot building, whilst people with mobility problems may have difficulty boarding historic trolleybuses and heritage diesel buses as, regrettably, these vehicles were not designed to be disability accessible: wherever possible, Museum staff will provide assistance)
- Extensive grassed areas (suitable for picnics) **
- Children’s play area
- Wide range of leaflets (located in an old Sheffield tram body) for other tourist attractions
** On some open days, parking (including disabled parking) may be located further from the Museum entrance than normal and some grassed areas my be in use for displays: see the page relevant to your visit date for planned alternative arrangements for car parking. Please note also that adverse weather may affect normal parking facilities.
Dogs are welcome but must be kept under control and on a lead. Please note that (apart from guide and other assistance dogs) they are not permitted in certain buildings, including the café and the souvenir shop. At the discretion of the conductor (for the comfort of passengers), dogs may be allowed on trolleybuses and motorbuses. We endeavour to provide bowls of water for dogs - please ask a Museum official if these are empty or not obviously available!
Please view this page in landscape
The following attractions (click on individual items for additional information) are normally available on our Trolleydays:
- Selection of trolleybuses for you to ride on
- In-house 5-rated cafe serving made-to-order meals, delicious home-made cakes and hot and cold drinks
- Vintage motorbus guided tour of surrounding local area (the Isle of Axholme) 1
- “The Trolleybus During the First Wold War” exhibition in the Pelham building (because of necessary building repairs, this exhibition is currently displaced to the building situated adjacent to the Reception building)
- Trolleybus displays
- 1950s/ 60s shop window displays
- The Sunbeam Cycle Shop display
- 1950s Prefab "home" display
- Audio-visual presentations in the "Regal" lecture theatre
- Children's full-sized trolleybus "Have a Go at Driving” simulator
- Guided tours of vehicles in the main depot building
- Souvenir shop
- Gardens & nature trail
- Children's playground
1 These motor bus tours operated by the Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft are provided free of charge and admission to the Trolleybus Museum is neither required nor granted by the use of these tours or any other free bus service provided by the Trolleybus Museum and payment for admission to the Trolleybus Museum is not a condition of carriage.
- Selection of trolleybuses in operation to ride on
- 5-rated cafe selling hot & cold refreshments and sandwiches
- 1950s/60s Shop Window Displays
- The Sunbeam Cycle Shop
- Vintage Motorbus Tours of surrounding local area
- Audio-visual presentations in our Lecture Theatre
- Special displays and exhibitions in the Pelham Building
- 1950s Prefab
- Children's Trolleybus "Have a Go at Driving" Simulator
- Trolleybus Displays
- Guided Tours of vehicles in the main depot
- Souvenir Shop
- Gardens & Nature Trail
- Children's Playground
On a Trolleyday Plus and on Sandtoft Gathering Day, additional visiting attractions are planned. See our Open Days at a Glance page and check out exactly what is scheduled for any one Trolleyday.
Please be aware that circumstances beyond our control may necessitate the cancelation or closure of any facility or attraction.